Monday 20 June 2011

Science...it's not all about pretty pictures of dolphins...

Blog entry by Hannah "Banana" Murphy...

The first day we went out to sea, I did not go out to sea.  When I was informed of this tragedy, I replied, “Oh, okay! That’s great!”  I did not, however, think it was great.  I was dying a little on the inside.  We all woke up at 6 and I waved at everyone as they filed out the door with excitement in their voices.  I locked the door behind them and turned around to face the empty house.  I trudged to the office and plopped down next to the stack of data forms that I was going to enter into an Excel spreadsheet.  There were so many! “Well,” I thought to myself, “someone has to do it… and it might as well be me.”  I prepared myself for the boring task ahead.  Only a few minutes passed before I was intrigued by the information on the data sheets!  The first thing that I leaned was that being on a boat is not conducive to good hand writing.  I now read Simon Hieroglyphics and Tess Hieroglyphics almost fluently.  It was super difficult at first, but got easier as the day went on.  I felt like I was learning more about dolphin behaviour than the people were on the boat! It was so cool! Before long, I could recognise where the dolphins liked to hang out! When I got on the boat the next day, I picked up the data form and knew exactly what I was doing! It was great!! The next week when my office day came around, I was excited to sit in my PJ’s, drink tea, and enter really interesting data about dolphins!

1 comment:

Prosecutor and Professor said...

This was great to read thank you